One of the reasons you are visiting this site is because you already understand that you must pass the Alaska licensing exam before you can obtain your Resident insurance license. In order to take the Alaska licensing exam, you must first register with Pearson VUE, which is the exam testing company that has been selected by Alaska to administer your licensing exam.
To register for the exam you may call the testing company at 866-496-2539 or register online, (Click on Request a Reservation). Before you register, you may want to read All About Registering For and Taking the Alaska Insurance Exam. Please note that taking our course DOES NOT register you for the exam.
The Following Steps Will Guide You Through the Process of Becoming Licensed:
1) Select an Exam Prep (Prelicensing) Course to Help you Pass the Alaska Insurance Exam
In Alaska, prelicensing education is not an absolute requirement. However, it is best if you find a good source to prep for the insurance exams, which are difficult. And you have a choice of several exam prep (prelicensing education) providers. Of course, 180 Licensing considers itself the very best, most enjoyable, and cost-effective method of preparing for your exam. You will need state supplemental materials to study along with our national materials to properly prep for the exam. Here’s a rundown of your choices and our opinions:
- Correspondence Courses. Often these courses consist of a manual and perhaps some sample questions on a disc that may or may not be specific to your state’s exam. The course manuals are boring, often out-of-date, and do not effectively convey the critical points that need to be mastered by you. They do not use techniques that “teach” you the material.
- A Live Class. Sometimes these classes are effective and sometimes they are not – pick one and take your chances. Plus, these courses are often not located near you, and you must miss time from work or travel to take the class.
- Online Courses with Simulated Instructors. If you have listened to computer generated voices before, you know that they will drive you nuts after a few hours. We cannot imagine listening to a computer voice for 40 hours trying to prepare for a licensing exam.
- Online Courses with Real Instructors. A couple of companies have online classes with real people lecturing. While good in theory, most of these “real people” are simply talking heads in the corner of the screen that you will soon tire of.
- A Comprehensive Interactive Course That Teaches. You guessed it! 180 Licensing has spent hundreds of hours creating a manual and interactive learning materials that are fun, highly authoritative and effective. We have personally helped over 10,000 students pass their licensing exams using our materials and techniques. You can learn the key points at your own pace, anywhere you wish. However, you will need to supplement our national materials with state law supplemental materials.
2) Register To Take the Alaska Insurance Exam with Pearson VUE
You must register to take the exam with Pearson VUE several weeks in advance so that you will be guaranteed a spot for at the test center of your choice on the day of your choice. To register you may call the testing company at 866-496-2539 or register online, (Click on Request a Reservation). For details, read All About Registering For and Taking the Alaska Insurance Exam.
3) Decide Where to Take the Alaska Insurance Exam
The exam is given in a number of locations here in Alaska. Go to the Pearson VUE Test Center Locator, go here. Before you actually choose a test and location, you may want more details. If so, read All About Registering For and Taking the Alaska Insurance Exam. In Alaska, you may also be able to be certified to take the exam from home online through OnVUE, Pearson VUE’s online testing solution. Go here for details.
4) Schedule and Get Your Fingerprints Taken
Alaska requires that you be fingerprinted and undergo a U.S. Department of Justice background check. The following test centers provide finger printing services: Anchorage AK. Be sure to ask about fingerprinting when registering for the exam. (If you already have been fingerprinted in the past, ask whether those prints will work. Often, they will not work, especially if they are the old ink and paper, instead of the new digital fingerprints.) To make a fingerprint reservation go here.
Schedule your exam reservation first, then contact IdentoGO and schedule your fingerprint reservation as close to the start time of your examination as possible. It does not need to be the exact same time. As long as you make your fingerprint reservation, the testing center will be able to process your prints when you arrive for your exam.
5) Submit The Proper Licensing Paperwork in Order to Obtain Alaska Insurance Exam
This is the easy part, for you, at least. Your insurance office or company will likely submit the application paperwork for you or ask you to submit the license application electronically. In Alaska, you may submit your application through National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR)
For information on the required forms or license application process, go to the Alaska Division of Insurance Website here.
Warning: In Alaska a passing exam score is good for one year. If you do not submit your application within one year of passing the exam, you will have to retake it!
Disclaimer: 180 Licensing Exam Prep, Inc. makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of this article, information is subject to change. The final authority for the latest insurance licensing information is your state’s department of insurance.
Must Read: Our National online, self-paced, exam prep courses offered in Alaska contain national insurance and general state law rules, but do not contain your exam’s specific state law content (about 15-20% of your exam). You must supplement our materials with your state’s specific state law rules. You may have access to such materials from your recruiter or another source. If not, we may be able to assist you in finding such materials. Our National courses are designed by award winning Professor Jerry Furniss and are excellent for getting you over the exam finish line the fastest and easiest way possible. Go here for more information.